Investigative reporting with an impact.
CIVIL ASSET FORFEITURE - SOUTHERN POVERTY LAW CENTER
I investigated an egregious abuse of civil forfeiture laws in South Alabama, finding that a local drug task force sought to seize property from residents as the size of their grants from the U.S. Department of Justice decreased.
MISSISSIPPI iCE - sOUTHERN POVERTY LAW CENTER
In the summer of 2017, I traveled to small towns in Mississippi to uncover the impact of President Trump's policies on the immigrant communities there. I found evidence of egregious abuses by ICE agents, some of which predated Trump's crackdown.
- June 26, 2017 ICE came for their fathers and mothers. Now these Mississippi families will live in poverty
- Oct. 6, 2017 A Mississippi police officer called ICE during a routine stop. Then an ICE agent shot an unarmed man
- Oct. 6, 2017 Police body camera footage obtained by SPLC shows aftermath of ICE shooting
corizon health - Southern poverty law center
I reviewed hundreds of pages of court filings, contracts, expert reports and my own inmate interview notes to reveal how a private prison health care company became so reluctant to send inmates to a hospital when they needed it--and the consequences of those decisions.
STOCKMAN - houston chronicle
This series follows former U.S. Congressman Steve Stockman of South Texas from the House of Representatives to a federal grand jury. In March 2017, federal prosecutors indicted Stockman on 28 charges of fraud and conspiracy for the activity revealed in these stories.
- Nov. 1, 2013 Campaign finances dog Stockman
- Nov. 23, 2013 Stockman's filings don't explain his income
- Nov. 12, 2014 Rep. Stockman, 3 aides subpoenaed
- April 26, 2015 Stockman mum on ties to Las Vegas charity
congressional travel - opensecrets.org
My previous reporting on foreign lobbying (see below) helped lead to a confrontation between the House Ethics Committee and the independent Office of Congressional Ethics about the release of documents to the public and the broader implications of allowing free trips for lawmakers as gifts. Most recently, several good-government groups came together to call for a moratorium on the practice.
- Aug. 4, 2015 Ethics chair received contributions from donors linked to groups in Azerbaijan probe
- Oct. 15, 2015 Prayer and Poultry: Foundation picked up tab for lawmaker's travel -- with support from chicken producer
- Oct. 28, 2015 Travel by ethics panel members adds wrinkle to Azerbaijan probe
- Nov. 6, 2015 Ethics watchdogs call for halt to lawmakers' privately sponsored overseas travel
- June 9, 2016 Ethics probe halts congressional travel to Turkey; free trips overall have slowed
Baku Bucks - houston chronicle
This is a series of reports on an all-expenses-paid trip to Azerbaijan by 10 members of Congress in 2013; the Washington Post picked up our investigation and called the ensuing ethics investigation the most extensive since the creation of the Office of Congressional Ethics.