I am an investigative reporter for the Southern Poverty Law Center, where I cover civil rights violations in the South. Here, I have written about the poultry industry, use of force by Immigration and Customs Enforcement, civil asset forfeiture and prison health care. Prior to moving to Montgomery in 2016, I was an investigative reporter in Washington, D.C. covering the congressional delegation from Texas and money-in-politics.
Reports under my byline have led to two Ethics Committee investigations involving misconduct by 11 members of Congress. They also led to the federal conviction of a former congressman on nearly two-dozen corruption charges. I graduated from the University of Alabama in 2013 and was editor-in-chief of the Crimson White from 2012 to 2013.
stockman - Houston chronicle
These stories exposed corruption in the office of former Texas Rep. Steve Stockman and ultimately led to his conviction in federal court.
The kill line - southern poverty law center
My colleagues and I exposed dire conditions for prisoners on work release in poultry plants.
Baku Bucks & turkey trips - houston chronicle and opensecrets.org
These reports resulted in the largest U.S. House of Representatives ethics investigation in nearly a decade. Lawmakers no longer take corrupt, privately sponsored trips to Turkey or Azerbaijan.
- Lawmakers' trips to Baku conference raise ethics questions
- Poe asks ethics panel to review overseas trip details
- U.S. House ethics panel probes Texas lawmakers' trip
- Ethics chair received contributions from donors linked to groups in Azerbaijan probe
- Prayer and Poultry: Foundation picked up tab for lawmaker's travel -- with support from chicken producer
- Travel by ethics panel members adds wrinkle to Azerbaijan probe
- Ethics watchdogs call for halt to lawmakers' privately sponsored overseas travel
- Ethics probe halts congressional travel to Turkey; free trips overall have slowed
Southern Poverty Law Center
- ICE came for their fathers and mothers. Now these Mississippi families will live in poverty
- A Mississippi police officer called ICE during a routine stop. Then an ICE agent shot an unarmed man
- Police body camera footage obtained by SPLC shows aftermath of ICE shooting
- Profits vs. Prisoners: How the largest U.S. prison health care provider puts lives in danger
the University of Alabama
B.A. INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
Graduated May 2013